Monday, March 18, 2013

Taking the Dreaded ACT

      This was probably one of the more painful experiences of my life.  You think taking your driver's test is bad. Yeah, that's only about fifteen minutes of pure intensity and fried nerves tops. Try taking a test in a classroom with a bunch of people you don't know for four hours. Oh, and this test is a key factor into whether or not you get into college.  No big-ee
     I was fortunate enough to take the ACT twice! How lucky was I? Not just one awful experience but two! Let me tell you how it went: First time - I prepared half-heartedly. (first mistake) I had a book to use that supposedly helped you prepare. It gave me the impression that if dropped on my toe, my toe would snap in half. It was big, and quite intimidating. Quite. So I rarely opened it; making all of my studying hours that I did commit, for not.
    When it was finally time to take the test, I was a nervous wreck.  I knew I wasn't prepared nearly enough. Plus it was almost 5:30 in the morning when I woke up. I can barely function at that hour the way it is.  I strongly believe that no human should be doing anything but sleeping at that hour. ANYWAY! I went to take the test all by myself, entered the strange territory of the high school students, and sat down to my previously assigned seat. This seat was directly adjacent to an obnoxious student, and upon overhearing a conversation he was having, he was also not the brightest. To quote him, "How many times have you tooken the test?" Tooken? Really? And you claim to be a high school student? Sad.
     As I took the test I was very tense. The minutes whizzed by me. Soon I was starting the next test, Mathematics. After that test what normally happens is the students are given a 20 minute break. You know, because their brains are running out of steam. No, we get about 6 at most. Apparently the test giver had more important things to do that day. For future reference, speak up if this happens. You'll want a chance to eat something. If you don't, you end up like me, shaking at the end of your science test because your blood sugar is so low and your brain is running on vapors. Not a good time was had. I vowed that day to never take the test again.
     A few months later I was at it again. Ha. Ha. You knew this would happen. Anyway, I was much more prepared this time. I had studied on a fairly regular basis through the summer and into my first quarter of my senior year. I didn't use the same curriculum as last time however. Instead, I used books by Kaplan. They were much smaller in size and each book targeted a different test. This helped me so much more. It also helped that I actually opened these books. :) Key here: take notes on the book and highlight whatever is important to you. Then reread your notes and take the practice tests. See where you struggle, fix it, and take them again. It works!
     So I'm in my seat, the same test giving guy (what are the chances) begins to read the rules of the test. "Do not turn ahead. Do not go back to fix your answers on previous tests." Yeah, we all know the drill.  I had prepared myself for this man. I was ready for anything that he could throw my way. I brought a drink so powerful it should be illegal. Naked. This was full of carbs and protein. Not wanting anyone to see I disguised it in a water bottle. I highly recommend doing this. Because of the quick sugars and carbs I was able to focus through the whole thing. This time I didn't create my own little earthquake with my shakes. I was much happier with this test. And hey, it paid off. I bumped up my score. Lemme hear a round of applause. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment