Saturday, March 23, 2013

Three Preps For College

     If you're wondering what needs to be done to properly prepare yourself for college...you're worrying too much.  However, you sound just like me, so to calm any neurotic tremors that you may have, I'll give you some ideas.
1) READ!!
     I cannot stress this enough.  You're going to be doing a LOT of reading in college.  You can't be spending all of your studying hours reading the text. You need to study it. Hey, there's a difference. Read a physics textbook and see how much you retain the first time through. :)
     I suggest challenging yourself, and the best way I have found to do that is to start with the hardest - Shakespeare. Back in my sophomore year, we were given the assignment to read a play and write a synopsis. I chose Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra. It actually wasn't as bad as it sounds.  Sure I really only understood the gist of the story, but man, I now feel like I can read anything and understand it. Once you've overcome the monstrosity that is Shakespearian plays, read the good ole classics.  Now this does not mean the Twilight series....no. I mean classics from authors like Fyodor Dostoevsky, Thomas Harding, Jane Austen, or H.G. Wells.  I will warn you some classics start out really dry, but their endings are usually far different from anything you've read from the 21st century. For example, Thomas Harding's book Jude the Obscure, was a bit bizarre. It's about a man named Jude Fawley who wants desperately to attend the University of Christminister, but is distracted by his mandatory marriage to a woman who lied about being impregnated with his child (she sounds like a winner). Anyway it all goes up in flames, she leaves him, he goes to the town of the university and falls in love with his cousin. To quote the summary on the back of the book, "Sue [his cousin] leaves her husband to live with Jude and eventually bears his children out of wedlock. Their poverty and weight of society's disapproval begin to take their toll on the couple, forcing them into a shattering downward spiral that ends in one of the most shocking scenes in all of literature." And oh my goodness were they ever right when they said that! I was shocked. That book along with Fyodor D's book Crime and Punishment, and Jane Austen's book Pride and Prejudice, were my favorite classics that I've read thus far.
2) Get as many tough classes as you can in high school
     This will benefit you more in the long run than in your high school years. Yeah, it's a pain in the behind, but once you get to college you'll be thankful you did them. Also take the more difficult classes that are aimed more towards your major interest. For example, I knew I was going to do something with math and/or science, so I've taken Biology three times now.  Do you think it's safe to assume it's my favorite class? As far as mathematics goes, my school is quite small and doesn't offer many advanced classes, but I did end up taking Stats. Trig. and Pre-Calc. All quite enjoyable. :)
     Taking difficult classes is also a HUGE college application booster.  If you're a terrible test taker (especially when it comes to ACT) this will support your case a lot. Just make sure you keep that GPA up.
3) Relax! For crying out loud! 
     I may be making a big deal about all of this, but that's because I'm so enthused about college!! I just want everyone to desire it as much as I do - though I see that as a bit of a stretch. I know, college should not be your main goal in life. You should do and go wherever God leads you.  His plan is the determining factor. Not yours, and certainly not mine. So don't stress over this milestone of your existence here on Earth. In the big scheme of things, the only thing that really matters is that you tried your best, and you did it for God's glory. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I, lets say object to the read through the physics book once thing. It made perfect sense the first time through, but.. maybe thats just me.

    ReplyDelete