Thursday, August 1, 2013

Rivendell Is Not Just For The Elves

     If I didn't make myself very clear in the last post or failed to divulge some minor details, yes, I did apply to Rivendell and I was accepted....!!!! It's been really tough to get all of it sorted out in a few short weeks, but my family and I are coping fairly well. Yes, it's a lot of work; it'll be worth it.
     As of tomorrow, I will be leaving my home in two short weeks. Nervous? Yeah. Just a little. I've been on my own before. I mean if summer camp and Summit Ministries count, but I've never left with the majority of my belongings and go live somewhere else. I'll do fine, I know that; it's just so different. I've never not lived in my home with my parents and sisters. It's kind of a scary thought.

    However, Rivendell has given me many things to look forward to. I did end up visiting the campus after I was accepted. It's very small and is shared with Bethany College. They have one dorm building for the men, and the women have an apartment complex of sorts. It's kind of hard to explain. All I can say is the space I will have at Rivendell will be much more so than at SDSU. I don't have to "go in" and "back out" of my room! Haha!
    During my visit, I was able to sneak in on a Physics class for an hour. Man! That hour flew by so fast! It was actually very fun. They had a discussion group for half the time that I was there, discussing the four main forces of the universe in terms of "how they are the vehicles of the physical order." It developed pretty quickly. I wanted to interject so badly. But it was also fun just to watch them go back and forth with thoughts and ideas.
    I also had the pleasure of meeting the Norments, the founders of Rivendell. They are an adorable older couple who are clearly from the south. I found out that they actually have an apartment in the same building as us girls. Charity, a girl I met at Rivendell, says that whenever she was feeling down or having a tough time she would always knock on their door where she would be greeted by Mrs. Norment. She said they usually talk over tea and cookies. Sweet! They are very personable people- not just the Norments but the entire campus! I actually ended up meeting over half of campus, so I can say these things with confidence.
    Overall my experience there was incredible and I cannot wait to go! Now I just have to get my nerves to feel the same way. Jesus take the wheel! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment