Thursday, April 11, 2013

College Visits Pt. 1

     Hey there! Whoa! It's been awhile.  Life's been crazy - that happens when you're a soon-to-be-graduating senior. *giant smile* Actually, yesterday I was home, then in North Dakota, and then home again, all in one day.  It's exhausting, but it's kind of fun. Why was I in ND? I was visiting NDSU for the second time.
    For those of you that don't know, I've been visiting colleges since last summer trying to figure out which one I want to attend, not the easiest feat in the world.  The colleges I have seen and toured were University of Minnesota, Duluth; South Dakota State University; and of course, North Dakota State University.  Last summer, I saw them all within a month of each other. First SDSU: loved it! Perfect small town, nice people, and SDSU makes it's own ice cream! Bonus! Only downer is they have one coffee shop outside of the campus, and it makes me cry because it's not coffee - it's a fake, and it's icky. I suppose I can't blame them. They're in a strip mall and they're neighbors with GameStop. Gamers wouldn't know good coffee unless it came in their care package along with a total resupply, an AC-130, a Sentry Gun, and an EMP.  Even then, chances are slim. Anyway! Past the coffee drama, I love the town, as I mentioned before, it's so country. I always say, "It's like my town, only nicer, cleaner and better."
     I like SDSU right now, mainly because of my recent discovery that they are one of the few colleges that offer cadaver labs in undergrad! I was very excited to hear that. And the biology major chic giving us the tour, was excited to tell me. If you don't really understand why this is a big deal, that's okay. I'll just say that having cadaver labs in undergrad is a major benefit for people who are interested in anything that has to do with biology. It's a major advantage for them as they prepare for graduate school. Excited yet?! I am! :) Go Jacks!
    Now, NDSU, I just got back from visiting for the second time. I think it's a really good idea to visit a second time. This way, you're already familiar with the basics of the school and can focus more on the specifics of it, which is important as you come closer to your final decision making. NDSU does not offer cadaver labs at all. :( But I do still like the town a lot, and I met with a lot of interesting people. They actually have good coffee in the area. Go Dunn Brothers!!  And their dorms are significantly better and much more spacious than SDSU's.  I can actually walk around in those instead of go in and back out. haha  And one last thing that's not as important: The NDSU Bison are a little more fierce than the SDSU Jackrabbits. :)
    Oh! I forgot to mention UMD...unless you like crappy, confusing roads all at an 80% incline, I advise you don't go. Don't get me wrong, the tourist part of Duluth is beautiful, campus not so much. The campus gives the appearance that it is the next big thing in summer camps. But they do have a lot of underground tunnels for the frigid winters. Win!
     College visitations definitely have their place in finding the right college. I have no idea how I'm going to chose between NDSU and SDSU. I've been told to go to the place in which you feel the most comfortable. If that's the case, it's a dead tie. There's different things I prefer from both colleges. E.g. I prefer the interstate to NDSU over the hilly, winding and potentially dangerous roads to SDSU.
    Wish me luck. I've got a couple more weeks to make my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment